Things On the Horizon

Since I started doing this blog, I have been searching for a way to host mp3's on my site as well as a way to allow users to to stream the music directly from my site. This functionality is now available by using the Yahoo Media Player along with a file hosting service called Boxstr. Most of the recent posts with individual mp3's can now be streamed right here on the blog and they can be downloaded by right-clicking on the track and selecting "save as". I hope that you guys enjoy this new feature.

Three things that are on the horizon are the second anniversary of Eclectic Grooves on October 23rd, a new Rediscoveries of Lost Gems post and a new post featuring Halloween music. At this point, I don't know exactly what I want to do for my Second Anniversary Post, but it will definitely be something special. The next entry under the Rediscoveries of Lost Gems series will undoubtedly be exciting for free jazz aficionados. I have noticed a spike in the popularity of my Halloween posts, so I have checked the previous year's Halloween posts and the links are still active. So make sure to check the archives for those Halloween treats. I will probably post a couple new Halloween-themed posts this year, so be on the lookout for those too.

Also, there will be a new podcast surfacing sometime in the next couple days.

In the meantime, here are some tunes that have been slaying me lately:

Max Roach- Another Valley- Spiritual jazz that features Roach firing on all cylinders behind a stunning orchestral choir. It is very similar in scope to Andrew Hill's Lift Every Voice.

Deerhoof- Numina O- I can't get the spiraling, intertwining guitars from "Numina O" out of my head and the schizophrenic song structure of "Eaguru Guru" provides a mind-bending backdrop for Satomi's sugar-laced-with-arsenic melodies I dare you to sit still while listening to this record!

Juana Molina- Un Dia- Juana's hypnotic, repetitive phrasing on the title track combines with undulating rhythms that build into an absolutely mesmerizing wall of sound that is reminscent of Laurie Anderson's "O Superman".

Debris- Witness- This album is a furious mixture of punk, jazz, experimental and classic rock that is beyond classification. "Witness" reminds me of the unbridled enthusiasm of The Stooges mixed with the off-kilter song structures of the Swell Maps.

Extra Golden- Ok-Oyot System- I have been hearing about these guys for a long time, so I finally had to see what all the hype was about. It is similar to a lot of other African high-life music, but with more attention given to the complex guitar sound. The title track features an infectious groove and melody that hold your attention until the intense climax of fuzz-guitars send you on your way to a blissful state of mind.

What do you think of this eclectic batch of tunes? I'm interested in what you guys think , so please sound off in the comments.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Cool stuff, Kevin!
I like the whole individual track concept, too.
Sometimes it's hard to remember what's been heard on the radio or in a podcast, so the ability to play discrete, individual songs is ideal, not to mention the fact that you always have interesting music up.
I may have to try Boxster, but wouldn't be surprised if Wordpress doesn't allow it to work.

Cheers,
Rich
Kevin said…
Rich:

Thanks for your comment! These tracks are actually not featured in any podcast, but I may feature songs from future podcasts to give people a feel for what type of music is featured on the podcast. Your thoughts and ideas are very much appreciated. As far as Boxstr, the only issue I've found so far is that in the free model they only allow you 1 gig of bandwidth. Since my site doesn't generate a whole lot of traffic, it might not affect me that much. But for someone who gets upwards of 500 hits a day, the bandwidth could be used up in a week. I'll play with the idea for a couple months to see how it's working.

Best, Kevin

Popular posts from this blog

All Hallows Eve 2007

General Comments

MF DOOM: Spell his name with ALL CAPS