Music is the Balm We Need in Times of Uncertainty

I realized that the last time I posted was exactly three months ago, so it's somewhat serendipitous that I decided to post today. I have been teleworking the past couple weeks once the company discovered that there were two employees in our building that tested positive for Coronavirus.  Considering this, I have chosen to completely sequester myself to my domicile, and am happy to report that I have not exhibited any symptoms of the virus. I can't remember the last time I stepped outside when it wasn't for a trip to the mailbox or a quick stop at the grocery store. Is there really an outside? Is it going to feel like I've landed on the moon when my feet finally hit the ground knowing that I can actually interact in close proximity with others. Imagine what that first concert will feel like, engaging in communal activity with those who, like me, have been isolated for a very long time.

In reality, I've maintained a somewhat hermetic existence even when the planet hasn't been dealing with a terrifying global pandemic. Nothing like this has ever occurred in my lifetime, and I'm sure most of you could say the same. The thing is, the person who's supposed to be in charge of the country fell asleep on the job, and deliberately avoided all warnings from the top health officials from China and South Korea, as well as other chief members of White House staff that the virus was heading our way. I can't say that it surprises me in the slightest bit that he down-played the seriousness of the situation because this president, and I use that term loosely, never has the best interests of the American people in mind. He only cares about the bottom line, and that is to keep the economy thriving enough to fuel his re-election campaign this November. We as a nation have to come together at the primaries, and this November to ensure that this doesn't happen.

Now that I have this off my chest, I would like to share some great mixes, podcasts and livestreams that I've discovered in the past week.

Cut Chemist- Candlelight live feed on Instagram- These were initially only on Instagram, but Cut Chemist has been adding them to YouTube a couple days later on his YouTube channel

Questlove Quarantine Livestreams- These were available on Instagram Live and Youtube on the Roots YouTube channel. So far, these have been fairly predictable but Questlove is a master of moving the crowd, even when this means that the crowd is tuning in from their phones and computers around the world. He has done a Native Tongues show, a Stevie Wonder show, a benefit show featuring a mix of hip-hop, soul, disco, reggae and afro-beat, and a strictly reggae show.

Behind the Green Door with JJ Whitefield- This episode of Behind the Green Door features a mix of psychedelic, kraut-rock and prog from JJ Whitefield, the guitarist and bandleader of Poets of Rhythm, Karl Hector and the Malcouns and The Whitefield Brothers. There were literally several songs that I had never heard of before, and am still trying to figure them out, specifically two at the very end of the mix.

Wine & Vinyl Hour with Mayor Hawthorne-  Stones Throw throwback-soul artist and sometime DJ, Mayor Hawthorne digs into his vinyl collection while drinking various vintages of Wine. I don't like everything that he plays, but I've discovered some rare gems while listening to this

D-Nice Instagram Livestreams-  Legendary rapper and producer D-Nice has been doing Instagram live shows that are only available at that time on Instagram. I have featured a link her that has parts of the show he did last week. These are a mix of feel-good soulful jams and old-school hip-hop that are sure to put a smile on your face.

Third Man Public Access Streaming- Jack White's Third Man will be featuring performances from its artists. They are also offering options to pay via Venmo and Paypal if you would like to help artists out who have been impacted by the venues closing due to Coronavirus.

Jeff Tweedy Family Instagram shows- The link is to an article talking about the shows, but I have not been able to find them on YouTube yet. The best thing you can do is to follow Jeff Tweedy on Instagram to find out when the next installment will take place.

Shana Cleveland- Live on Park the Van
This takes place tonight, and anyone who likes La Luz will want to check it out. Shana Cleveland, the lead singer of La Luz is going to play solo acoustic versions of La luz songs on Instagram live tonight at 8:40 PST.

Well, that should keep you sufficiently satiated for the time being. But, if anyone has any other live streams that they've come across recently, please share with the rest of us.

This is a little mix that I put together yesterday while playing records on the fly like I used to do for my I Hear a New World podcast. I hope you enjoy it!

Please stay safe and healthy, and be kind to one another!

Quarantine Blues

1) A Tribe Called Quest- The Space Program
2) Soul President- Got to Have It
3) Ngozi Family- She Looks So Crazy
4) Rev Drayton- By & By
5) John McLaughlin- Extrapolation
6) Mdou Moctar- Takanba
7) Jimi Hendrix- Easy Blues
8) The Hykkers- I Want a Break Thru'
9) Steve Gunn- Paranoid
10) Shana Cleveland- I'll Never Know

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All Hallows Eve 2007

General Comments

MF DOOM: Spell his name with ALL CAPS