The Long Hot Summer

It's been one of those summers where it passes by so fast, you don't even realize what's happening right before your eyes. My first week of August can literally be chalked up as wasted time, as most of my waking hours were spent devising new ways to stay cool. I can't recall a summer where I endured such hot temperatures when relief (A/C) was not just around the corner. The rest of my time has been consumed by the daunting task of being a first-time home buyer. Even though I don't have a home yet, most of my summer has been spent searching for a better place to call home. This is one of those phases in my life where complex life decisions seem to be taking precedent over my creative endeavors. However, since my girlfriend and I are closing in on making a decision on buying a new home, I hope to be able to post more often in the near future.

Since most of the music I have been listening to in my car has turned into a Plain Brown Wrappers post anyway, I have decided to kill off the What's Playing on My Stereo feature. I hope this doesn't cause you guys too much distress and anguish(Cue up the scene of the distressed guy poking his eyeball out with a plastic fork).

I have been listening to lots of exciting new bands, as well as a healthy dose of classic 60's psychedelia and funky afrobeat tunes. I look to bring back the Local Music Showcase feature, mainly due to the recent onslaught of creative talent bubbling under the surface of Portland's music scene including Nice Nice, Explode Into Colors, Grouper, Purple Rhinestone Eagle and LKN.

Here are some random thoughts and tidbits of things I have recently been diggin' :

The latest release from Analog Africa called Legends of Benin "Afro Funk- Cavacha- Agbadja- Afro Beat" is one of the most stunning releases of the year. After hearing this, there is no doubt in my mind that you will believe that music indeed soothes the savage beast. If you are looking for more of the same artists, please make sure to check out the blog called Oro. Oro features more Orchestre Poly-Rhythmo, Gnonnas Pedro and Antoine Dougbe than your ears can possibly handle. This is all out-of-print stuff that has never graced the independent record stores of America.

The second Heliocentrics record with Mulatu Estatke recalls the heyday of Ethiopiques Vol.4,
while putting a fresh spin on that sound with spacey electronics and a more jazzy feel. Highly, highly recommended!

As of late, I am really digging this new lo-fi movement including Blank Dogs, Wavves, Crystal Stilts, Sic Alps, Eat Skull and Dum Dum Girls. This is ear candy for people who like music to feel like it is a living, breathing animal ready to unleash itself on you when you least expect it. I will probably be featuring tracks from some of these bands on here soon, so keep your ear to the ground.

New blogs that have been catching my ear lately include:

By Chance Upon Waking- features a majority of bands that were new to me, and a few old-school surprises that had me grinning from ear-to-ear

Allegory of Allergies- eclectic batch of artists ranging from loner folk to avant garde; from free jazz to electronic. Here are a few examples of the gems I picked up on this blog: The Ceyleib People, Lamonte Young and Marian Zazeela, Charlemagne Palestine and Freedom's Children.

Dharma Krusher- mainly intense experimental stuff like Black Dice, Masonna, Eric Copeland and High Wolf, with the occasional hip-hop joint from Quasimoto or MF Doom to keep people on their toes.

Flabbergasted Vibes- a heavy dose of afro-cuban, afro-beat, funk and jazz that never stops. After I sampled the music from this site, I had to change my shirt from sweating so much.

Incomplete Tales of Several Journeys- Can, Albert Ayler, Frank Lowe and Popul Vuh, and that's just the first page of this amazing blog. These tales will keep you coming back for sure.

This might go down in Eclectic Groove's history as being the longest post ever, but I have been bursting at the seams with new ideas of music to share with you all. If I ever decide to buy a USB turntable, you guys will be in for the ride of your life.

I leave you with this rare gem taken from the archives of Eclectic Grooves from a little known band called Dull Schicksall. This was first posted on here back in October of 2007, but I have recently received a request for a re-up. Here is a link to the original post for this record.

So, I hope you all enjoy this trip down memory lane with four bald tires and a cracked windshield. You will never be the same again after listening to this record. Without further ado, I present to you Dull Schicksall's They Saved Hitler's Brain.

Dull Schicksall- They Saved Hitler's Brain

Comments

Flabbergast said…
hey, thanks for pimping me out at your wonderful blog. And I am dying to hear this new Mulatu Astatke, it's supposed to be amazing.

Oh, and please don't buy a USB turntable. They are the best way to turn people off from vinyl, in my opinion. Much better to invest in a decent table that will please you for years and record direct to a soundcard. I've been revamping my vinyl setup, so expect a bunch of vinyl rips over at my place soon.
Capt EviL 1 said…
Thank you so much, I'm really looking forward to hearing this. I hope you're able to cool down in this awful weather; being from South Texas, I understand hot summers. Have a great one and thanks again!
NØ said…
Thanks for all the links. I bookmarked 'em & am wading thru 'em as I listen to Dull musick.

Popular posts from this blog

All Hallows Eve 2007

General Comments

MF DOOM: Spell his name with ALL CAPS