It's Been a Long Time

It's been a long time since, well... since I've posted something new on here. During October I was pretty prolific with the posts, but I had a feeling that the frequency of posts would go down after I began two new jobs in the middle of November. Since I received a few negative comments on the last post, I have decided to put the kebash on anonymous posting. I thought long and hard before coming to this decision, but I ultimately felt that it was the best thing to do.

Once again it is that time of the year where I gather together a comprehensive list of my favorite albums for the year. This year's list promises to be one of the most eclectic lists since the inception of Eclectic Grooves. I haven't figured out the logistics yet, but I plan on featuring this list before Christmas this year.

Also, I have some re-ups including Jimmy Smith Christmas Cookin' and a stellar compilation of blues christmas tunes called Blue Yule, in addition to a few other new Christmas goodies. I hope to post things here more often over the next couple weeks, so I hope you guys keep checking back. Best wishes to all of you this Christmas season.














From: Singing Saw at Christmastime [Merge, 2008]

Here's a little something to get you in the Christmas mood this year. I was surfing the web when I accidentally stumbled upon the latest record by Julian Koster from Neutral Milk Hotel and Hawk and a Hacksaw entitled The Singing Saw at Christmastime. It is a non-traditional album of traditional Christmas songs performed entirely with the hypnotic sounds of the singing saw accompanied by minimal percussion. There is something calming and strangely beguiling about this album that I can't quite put my finger on. Think of this as a Christmas record for experimental enthusiasts who have always yearned to hear Clara Rockmore crank out an inspired set of traditional Christmas songs. While Clara Rockmore was famous for employing the unconventional sound of the theremin in her work, the sound of the theremin is strangely close to that of the singing saw. For those of you are who are already familiar with the sound of the singing saw, you will find plenty of things to enjoy about this album. As for the uninitiated listeners out there, I'm sure it won't take you very long to fall under the spell of this record. Just give it a chance!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All Hallows Eve 2007

General Comments

MF DOOM: Spell his name with ALL CAPS