Summer Mix 2013



















As the Breeders so aptly stated on their infectious slice of summer jam “Saints”, “Summer is ready when you are”.  While I’ve been ready for summer since it ended last year, I wasn’t quite expecting the sudden onslaught of heat that the Portland area received at the beginning of July.   But once the days started to stretch longer and the warm air was hitting my skin, I became inspired to create a new soundtrack for my summer days. Since summer weather in Portland doesn't typically start until around the first of July, I started to compile my summer playlist at this point. Over the past few days, I have managed to narrow my selection down to an eclectic mix of songs spanning genres as diverse as funk, jazz, rap, soul, gospel and rock that clock in at just over an hour.

So fire up the barbecue, bask in the afternoon sunlight and don't hesitate to dive right into this year's summer mix!


1) New Dawn- There's a New Dawn
2) The Pastel Six- Twitchin'
3) Sic Alps- God Bless Her, I Miss Her
4) Grass Widow- To Where
5) Jackie Paine- Go Go Train 
6) Jurassic 5- Day at the Races
7) Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings- Cut that Line
8) Wally Cox and Nate Branch- Za Zu
9) Unknown Mortal Orchestra- How Can U Luv Me
10) Witch- Chance
11) Creedence Clearwater Revival- Down on the Corner
12) Deerhunter- Pensacola
13) Village Callers- Mississippi Delta
14) Pearl Dowdell- Good Things
15) Afrique- Slow Motion
16) Big Star- Feel
17) Coasting- Portland
18) Gospel Chandeliers- Honesty is the Best Policy
19) Ty Segall- Gold on the Shore

I would love to hear what you think of the mix, so please drop me a line in the comments.

Comments

Kevin said…
Well, I guess I have to leave the first comment to get the ball rolling. I know that at least 100 people have downloaded the mix, so give me a shout. What songs are grabbing you? do you have any suggestions for summer mixes in the future?

I am trying to get this blog to be more than just a place where people just "eat and run".

Best,

Kevin
No-head said…
WITCH! Love that Zam-rock sound.
Kevin said…
Hey No-head. I'm glad that you dig the Witch track. I can't get enough of the Zam-rock sound- Chrissy Zebby Tembo, Witch, Ofege, Ngozi family, Rikki Ililonga& Musi-O-Tunya and Amanaz. Hope you keep stopping by.

What kind of musc are you digging right now?

Best,

Kevin

Popular posts from this blog

All Hallows Eve 2007

General Comments

MF DOOM: Spell his name with ALL CAPS